An Alabama plan that calls for obese state employees to pay more for health insurance if they don't lose weight has stirred controversy.
read more | digg story
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
New Jersey Health Blog
1 comment:
I think "tough love" more appropriately describes Alabama's efforts to reign in chronic but preventable disease. I only wish more private institutions adopt similar measure to fight the rising risks and cost from obesity and other factors.
This measure brings to mind the issue of energy cost we are facing. Especially so when it comes to our preference in automobiles that we purchase. Americans are experiencing a cultural shift in what type of automobiles we buy solely because of the rising price of gasoline. If it weren't for $4/gal gas price, we would not have abandoned our love of gas-guzzling behemoths for gas-sipping compacts such as the Smart ForTwo.
I think targeting America's wallet is exactly the right strategy to reign in the crisis situation we face from chronic-but-preventable diseases.
Post a Comment