Wednesday, September 3, 2008

ABC News: Chickenpox Vaccine Slashes Virus by 90 Percent

"The chickenpox vaccine has slashed the occurrence of the disease in children by 90 percent, infectious disease experts remained concerned that too few parents take the disease seriously enough to get their kids vaccinated." Though not necessarily a chronic disease, the vaccine will help reduce the cost of having to care for a sick child suffering from chicken pox. That's about a week off from school, where a parent may have to stay home to care for the child. Unfortunately for me, I came down with mine while on vacation. That was definitely not fun. Running a fever, itchy, with crazy bumps all over. Luckily I didn't suffer too many scars, but that was a complete waste of a week for me. I'm sure as parents and employers learn more about the benefits of the vaccine, it will become a necessary vaccination to protect the kids from the terrible scarring that can occur and parents from the lost productivity at work due to chicken pox.

read more | digg story

No comments: