Friday, September 19, 2008

Prevention is best way to manage healthcare says the 17th Surgeon General.

Dr. Carmona, the 17th Surgeon General of the US, had an op-ed in the Trenton Times this past week. It deals about the issue of chronic diseases, especially ones that are preventable. The solution to the problem has to come from all different sectors of the society and is best stated by Dr. Carmona when he said, "preventable chronic disease is a challenge we all face and must address together -- as individuals, as families and as communities, as well as through our health-care system, work places and government."

I was fortunate enough to attend the launch of Partnership to Fight Chronic Disease (PFCD) in East Brunswick where Dr. Carmona was the main speaker. I asked Dr. Carmona what was the biggest obstacle for reaching the goals of PFCD, to which he said that it was mainly education. While I did talk about our differences in what the goals should be in a previous post, I am in complete agreement with the mission of the partnership. It is a partnership that is deeply committed to reducing the risks and costs related to obesity, smoking, and inadequate exercise. It is really important that New Jerseyans feel the seriousness of the issue from messages coming from their communities, whether through community initiatives or programs, through health-care systems and work places by making employees more accountable for their health management, and through government by creating the environment for wellness management.

read more | digg story

No comments: