Saturday, September 13, 2008

L.A. considers calorie counts on menus.

This sounds like such a common sense thing, it makes me wonder why it hasn't been like this all along. I would go a little bit further and suggest that the fat calories are also displayed so that dinners can make a more informed decision. This is just another way to persuade individuals to make the right choice, a problem I had written about in my earlier post. Unfortunately, some may say that this is too much government intervention in people's lives and how we eat. The fact is that by listing calories on menus, the government is not going to force anyone to pick one item over another, nor will there be men in black standing by the checkout line to see what you are eating. Rather, it empowers the consumers with information about their choices and may give them pause to think about the implication of what they choose to eat. This is a pragmatic policy which I think would benefit the people of New Jersey if we were to adopt it as well.

read more | digg story

No comments: